Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Love Letter

Dear Mom,

Happy Mother's Day!  I thought I should write you a letter to make sure all these words are on paper.  That way, if I am ever at a loss to tell you how I feel about you, I can refer back to my notes.  You are an amazing person; not just an amazing mother, but you are amazing to your core.  This fact is confirmed by the hundreds of people who get a smile on their face simply by the sound of your name.  You raised four children that all have children of their own.  Your grandchildren have been blessed that their parents had the most wonderful example to learn from.  The love and tenderness you brought to our childhood, the laughter and smiles you freely gave to all of us, and the love of singing any song regardless of knowing the correct lyrics or not were my favorite parts of growing up.  You were the soft hand to Dad's iron fist. You were (literally) always the, "good cop," to his,"bad cop."  You allowed yourself to be the clown when the situation needed a comedic hero.  When it comes to being a mom, I had the best instructor there is.

Even if a person goes to the best schools and has the best instructors, it does not mean they are going to be perfect at what they do.  I am the iron fist in my children's lives.  The role of, "bad cop," is usually played by me.  Ironically, I am the clown even though real clowns annoy the crap out of me.  Statistically, I am not the daughter that grew up to be just like you.  However, one day you gave me the best compliment.  As different as we can be, you told me once that I was the kind of person you had always wanted to be.  I voice my opinion.  I stand up for the underdog.  When I was in fifth grade, I slapped a girl in the face because she said my friend was ugly.  I am fearless.  I keep my friends and family close, and I send toxic people on their way.  The best thing you ever said is that I am nothing like you, but that I am what you strive to be.  How ridiculous is that?  It is amazingly, lovingly, and honorably ridiculous.

Happy Mother's Day to my mother.  You are the beautiful, smart, funny woman that I want to be when I grow up.

Sincerely,

Amy (your favorite)



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5/12/2013

    make me cry again Amy....amazing is a good description. She is the most awesome person in the world, not only to me, but to anyone who happens to walk in her path. She brings so much joy to so many and doesn't have a clue...that you realize and acknowledge what a gift God gave to your family is a blessing!! What a great Mothers Day "card". I too am grateful, and SO happy she shares her family with me...I love you all, Happy Mothers Day !!

    ReplyDelete