Monday, February 11, 2013

How can you mend a broken heart?

Valentines' Day is just a few days away.  Even if your significant other tells you they do not want anything, do not believe them.  At least buy a card or a tiny box of Whitman's chocolates to give to them this Thursday.  I know that a lot of you are griping right now.  You are whining for one of two reasons: 
  1. You think V-Day is a commercialized holiday that is only there to suck money out of your wallet.
  2. You are pissed because you do not have a Valentine in your life this year.
If you do have a special someone in your life this year, but you are a strict believer in reason #1, there is a good chance that next year you will be a believer in reason #2.  Those of us who are not very fond of Valentines' Day still do not want to be forgotten on this holiday.  Personally, I am not a big fan.  Don't get me wrong; I do not think there is anything sweeter than someone buying me flowers.  It may be old fashioned and seem pointless, but it is also one of the most romantic gestures a person can perform.  If not flowers, then just listen to Forrest Gump and get me a box of chocolates (or shrimp prepared 417 different ways).  It's not the purpose of Valentines' Day I oppose.  It's just kind of the day itself.

You may be asking why V-Day is not one of my favorite holidays.  I had an old flame break up with me on Valentines' Day.  That ruined it for a year or two.  However, an even bigger way to ruin the day is that my father passed away the day after V-Day 23 years ago.  I remember it was cold that February.  I remember whom I spent that evening with.  I do not remember what we did that last Valentines' Day, but I do remember getting a phone call the next morning saying that I should come to the hospital. 

There are all sorts of ways to get your heart broken.  Usually, it happens when a romantic love goes bad.  And for the sake of today's blog, that is the way I am referring.  How do you get past a broken heart?  I have always been a firm believer that there are three things you must do:
  1. Give yourself a lot of time because time can heal those wounds.
  2. Forgive the other person and/or yourself for causing the pain.
  3. Allow yourself the chance to try it all over again.
And, if those don't work, buy five pints of various flavors of Ben & Jerry's and watch the following clip until you cry yourself to sleep.

Oh, Barry Gibb...

Show someone you love them this Valentines' Day.  It can be your spouse, your children, a parent, or buy a total stranger's coffee that morning.  People say there should not be a holiday that,"makes," you prove your love to others.  I totally agree...it should be something we do for no reason at all.

6 comments:

  1. I could not agree more. I know its a Hallmark Holiday. But what's really wrong with a day set aside to remind people how much you love them? Or to tell them you care about them? Valentines is about showing our appreciation for the people in our life. If you remember to show someone what they mean to you the other 364 days in a year, then Feb 14 shouldn't tax you too much. The lessons learned in Kindergarten will serve you well- include everyone because people din't like to be forgotten, use kind words, and if all else fails just give them a hug. It might not be fair, but those of married/were married to engineers overlook that they are not the most romantic guys, but Valentines becomes the litmus test. To his credit, Dave never forgot Valentines in 21 years. This year i will buy some stranger a Starbucks and be thankful for all the wonderful people i have in my life. Happy Valentine's Day my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentines' Day to you, my beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shilpa V2/11/2013

    I am also one of those who doesn't believe in the Hallmark calendar but secretly always hope that my husband will remember to buy flowers, a teddy bear.. something :-) And like your friend Christy rightly pointed.. Engineers are not the most expressive guys, so its even more special if they take the time and make the effort to do something.

    Love your idea of doing something "just because." Thanks for this simple and yet important reminder.

    Wishing you and yours a Wonderful Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched the video clip..I think I might have thrown up a little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hush your mouth. Barry Gibb is dreamy......

      Delete