Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Right to Bear Arms

One of the biggest topics of conversation lately, other than the NCAA basketball brackets, is the subject of gun control.  Like all political issues, there are groups on each side of this topic that are passionate in their beliefs.  There is a large group of the public that is floating in the middle of the pool.  They have thoughts that cause them to float to one side of the debate but then the waves can take them to the opposite side.  There seems to be a belief that you have to be ultra pro-gun or mega pro-control.  I am one of those floating somewhere in the middle.  So, here goes my first politically based blog post.

I believe, as a United States citizen, I should be able to own and carry a gun if I qualify for one.  I am required to pass a test and obey certain laws to have and keep a drivers license.  If I want to legally catch a fish, I have to fill out a form and get a fishing license.  I show my identification when I purchase alcohol, and I have had a criminal background check done prior to volunteering at my children's school.  When I adopted my dog from a rescue group, I filled out a four or five page application, had to give three references, and list the name and number of my veterinarian to make sure I would be a responsible pet owner.  I follow all these guidelines to show that whatever it is that I am pursuing, I am willing to show the powers that be that I meet the requirements listed for the desired task.  If I am found not to possess the basic skills needed to safely drive a car, or own a dog, or hook a blue gill, that privilege is taken away from me.  If I decide to continue these activities regardless, then if I am caught I can be punished on varying levels of severity.

My father was a police officer for 20 years and an avid hunter.  I would estimate that the number of rifles and handguns in our home for most of my childhood probably numbered around ten.  My siblings and I knew where they were.  The rifles were not kept loaded, but we knew where the ammunition was.  The handguns were loaded, no trigger locks, and kept out of reach, but all it would have taken was a kitchen chair pushed into to the bedroom closet to get them.  My father carried a gun every time he left our property line.  He not only wore a gun to work, but he carried a gun to church, the grocery store, to our cousin's house for birthday parties, and even to grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner.  He usually would take it off when we got to our relative's home and put it on top of the refrigerator.  When it was time to go, the gun was placed back on this hip.  However, you would never have known he was ever, "packing heat."  His small, off duty gun was always covered by his shirt.  My dad never tucked in his shirts because they concealed his weapon.  If my dad's badge was hidden in his wallet, then his gun was hidden under his shirt.  The only time my dad's revolver was obviously displayed was when he was in uniform and his badge was as well.  Out of uniform, he did not want people to know he was carrying a gun.  It was there in case he needed it, not to let people know he had the right to carry it.  We were taught about how guns worked, how to clean them (I can smell the gun oil in my mind), and how to respect them.  They were not toys, they were not to represent status, and they could not only protect but also kill.  When your father is a cop, you want him to carry a gun to work with him, and you want to make sure his bullet-proof vest (which he wore every night) is just an uncomfortable wardrobe accessory.

I do not think gun control should mean that people can no longer own guns.  I know that any type of gun regulation is not going to prevent criminals from being able to get firearms that they will use in violent crimes.  I do think there should be guidelines as to what kind of weapons should be available for private ownership.  Prescription drugs are regulated and require a doctor to issue them.  Many prescription drugs have become the most popular street drugs, so obviously the wrong people are getting access to them.  But, what would it be like if Oxycontin was available to buy like aspirin?  People can get their hands on it if they want, but if they are caught with it, there are legal repercussions. 

When it comes to gun control, I want my law enforcement and military officers to have access to better weapons than the public.  I do not want the asshole who sells crack out of his kitchen to be able to buy an assault rifle that holds 30+ rounds.  During a recent demonstration against gun control, a supporter was holding a sign that said, "Criminals don't register their guns."  This is true.  Responsible gun owners register their weapons.  Responsible gun owners educate their children on how to respect firearms.  However, responsible gun owners cannot deny the fact that not everyone can be trusted with the responsibility of a gun.  Do not start quoting the Second Amendment without thinking of the responsibility that comes with it.  We have driver's education and learner's permits before we allow a person to drive a car.  They have a written test, a driving test, and a vision test to pass before they can legally operate the vehicle.  Responsible drivers abide traffic laws, have auto insurance, do not drive while impaired, and keep their vehicles maintained.  Irresponsible drivers do none of these and are commonly the ones that are the cause of fatal accidents.  Imagine if the irresponsible drivers had access to an Indy car.  Even more damage could be done with a vehicle that goes 200 mph.  I know that people will read this and say these examples are not comparable to the issues of gun control.  I think they are.

If guns are legal to buy and own, make the purchaser prove they are qualified for the responsibility.  They should have a clean criminal background check.  They should be able to show they can load, operate, and unload the firearms.  They should be given materials and resources on gun safety for homes with children.  There should be categories of weapons that are not accessible to people outside of law enforcement or military personnel.  If you need an Uzi to defend your home, you probably are involved in something illegal or you are a Cuban immigrant being played by Al Pacino.  I believe most pro-gun activists are responsible gun owners.  What they need to see is that there need to be regulations since not everyone can be a responsible gun owner.  I also do not want the government to reduce my options and privileges, but I do not oppose proving that I am able to be trusted in my choices.  If someone were to illegally enter my home, they would hear the unmistakable sound of a shotgun being cocked. If that sound alone does not make them wet their pants and leave, then I am glad I have that tool at my disposal to protect my family, my home, and myself from an uninvited intruder. 

We live in a different world than when our Bill of Rights was written.  A world where people walk into movie theaters and shoot random people for no reason.  Children are shot in their schools.  People make illegal drugs in their garage out of the medicines most of us take for sinus congestion.  Weirdos kidnap children and hold them in backyard bunkers for years.  I think there must be a way to find some middle ground that still gives people the, "Right to Bear Arms," while making sure they can do it with accountability. 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/30/2013

    Well, well, well... A political post from Amy. Who would have thought it was possible? Lol. And one that I agree with. Yes, nearly every word. I'm still torn on the issue of civilians owning military style weapons. Obviously, we are not allowed to own fully automatic rifles like the military. I believe this addresses one of your main points. Having said that, I believe we are rapidly approaching a time when it may take more than ten rounds to defend ourselves. Mass panic can happen at the blink of an eye. Although not likely, I believe civilians have the right to protect themselves in those situations as well. Or in a situation where our government tries to overpower the people they "serve". I agree with your assessment of the licences, background checks, classes, etc. AS LONG AS it doesn't lead to confiscation of weapons, or being put on a LIST of people to visit at some future date for confiscation. Our government is already too powerful and we keep giving away more power every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of good points from you, Anonymous. I think there are times when weapons do need to be confiscated if the mental stability of the owner is in question. Not sure where you are from, but here in Indianapolis, there was a man who police had confiscated a large number of firearms and ammunition after a domestic call. A few months later, he got the weapons back. That same man shot and killed a police officer, shot and killed his own mother, and shot and injured four other officers in one day. It does not pain me to say that irresponsible gun owner is no longer with us.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3/31/2013

    Yes, of course. Confiscation in those situations seems appropriate. Although, to "confiscate" someone's guns and ammo is a bit confusing. Forcing a sale, maybe. What if a person own $10, 000 worth of guns and ammo? To just "take" ten grand worth of valuables seems wrong. And where would it/does it go? What do you think, Amy from Indianapolis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point, Anonymous. Should the government be able to confiscate the weapons and not compensate the owner for their value? Do moonshiners get paid back for the money spent to make a still? Probably not. People have children, abuse and neglect them, then those children are taken away from them. They don't get compensated for losing the most valuable possession they ever had.

      Delete
  3. My father wasn't a cop, but he played the role at times for various federal agencies and attended federal law enforcement training annually. As you mentioned, gun education began early and often.

    I can recall the keys lessons from my father: 1) A gun is to be treated as if it is loaded (2)Never pull a gun/point a gun at anyone unless you are going to shoot them (3) Never shoot unless you are going to kill them.

    After retirement my father mentioned how thankful he was that he never had to draw his pistol during his career. He disarmed a number of knife wielders with soothing words (most often) or his baton (rarely)over the years.

    When I was old enough to enroll, my father made me take a hunter safety course. He lectured me that until I passed I would not be allowed to carry a gun into the woods, despite years of practice at the range. You can be assured that I passed.

    I have owned guns most of my life, everything from wall hangers to military surplus rifles from the two world wars, to hand guns and including one rifle which will take a 30 round magazine. I don't shoot often anymore, and I gave up hunting years ago. I enjoy shooting and knowing that I know how to safely operate a deadly weapon.

    I have no illusions that I am the next Seal Team Six member or Bat Masterson or insert gun toting figure here. I don't have a carry permit. I know that those people who can maintain there composure in a firefight and truly be machines of war are rare, even among trained law enforcement and military. I hope that like my father I can live my life without ever needing to draw a weapon and need to use deadly force on another human being.

    I do appreciate the right to bear arms and agree with you that legal access to weapons needs to be controlled. There is no "ideal" solution. As long as there are humans, we will as a species will figure out a way to kill one another. Sadly we seem always to look for ever more efficient ways to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, sister. Sending to my husband as this is a topic we discuss regularly. You said my viewpoint better than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. It is a touchy subject that people are very passionate about. Guns are responsible for violent crimes and tragic accidents, but I do not think the right to own a gun should be taken away. Responsibility, education, accountability.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4/02/2013

    If guns are responsible for violent crimes, then my guns must be defective. Not one of them has ever hurt anyone.

    ReplyDelete