Monday, March 18, 2013

Which Spring Break are you on this year?

My daughters are on Spring Break this week.  As a family, we have no scheduled plans, and it is unfortunate that the Indiana weather does not look as if it is going to be favorable.  So, we are going to do our best to spend some quality time with one another, do a couple fun things, and try not to kill each other with all the, "togetherness."  I started thinking about the different types of Spring Breaks.  Here are a few to choose from.  Which one are you on?

  1. "Woo-Hoo!!!!  I'm on Spring Break" - this type is the kind where you are usually a senior in high school or maybe in your first few years of college.  Most participants are unsupervised, intoxicated, irresponsible, and that is alright with them.  I was on this type of Spring Break in 1989.  The scene was Panama City, Florida, and it was me, four friends, and thousands of other high school seniors.  I cannot (will not) go into the details of our trip.  I would just like to give a big shout-out to the boys from Dunwoody, Georgia, our fine men in the U.S. Navy, and the Hand of God for getting all of us home without getting arrested...or worse.
  2. "Oh, it's Spring Break?" - this is the phrase muttered by people who are too old to be on Spring Break themselves and too young to have children on Spring Break.  They reminisce about the days when Spring Break meant something to them.  Those memories are soon followed by the realization that half their coworkers will be gone for the next five business days.  Guess who gets to work overtime picking up all the slack?  Yep, all those taking part in Spring Break type #2.
  3. "It's Spring Break week already?" - this is the type of break we are on in my house.  This is when you do not have a vacation planned, so the week the kids are off school literally sneaks up on you.  I was reading my daughters' school newsletter two weeks ago when the calendar printed inside showed the days of Spring Break.  I actually had to read it twice and look at the calendar in my iPhone.  I genuinely forgot when my girls were out of school.  Lucky for me that my life is not filled with spontaneous adventure (read in a highly sarcastic tone)!
This week is going to be very low key and generally boring for me and the family.  We were going to take my grandmother out to lunch, but she doesn't want to go out in the rain or snow, so that was cancelled.  We were going to try to go to the Indianapolis Zoo, but the 30-degree temperatures and daily chance of snow/rain cancelled that.  So, we will try to be content with an afternoon movie one day, lunch and hanging out with some friends on another day, and a late bedtime every night. 

I would like to thank all those teachers who have made their life's commitment to educate our children.  They are really the ones that need and deserve a break.  I am pretty sure the teachers were smiling wider than the students on that last day before break.

Happy Spring Break to everyone out there.  Whether you are celebrating version #1 (be careful and safe), #2 (it's only a week, and you could use the overtime pay, right?), or #3 (let's just get through the week without fighting), make the most of it.  Oh, and mark your calendars for summer vacation.  It will be here before you know it.

2 comments:

  1. I was never much of a Spring Breaker, personally, as least not the head to the beach/party kind of guy.

    My Little One has her break next week. The divorce decree calls for us to split the week, so Little One will be with the EW from Friday night through Wednesday night. After that, I am trying to think of things that I can do to make some memories with my girl

    We are leaning towards a trip to Myrtle Beach. We may swing by Charleston (one of my favorite towns) and hit the Moon Pie store. That is one Little One's list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a "Moon Pie" store? I thought when my father passed away he went to heven. Now, I know where his soul resides. My dad grew up in Logan, West Virginia. Their biggest treat as a child was an RC Cola and a Moon Pie. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

      Delete