Thursday, January 3, 2013

I know why there is no, "The Real Housewives of Indianapolis."

Last night, I went to dinner with my best friends.  There is one area of my life where I almost feel guilty because I have been given way more than most other people:  friendships.  I'm not talking about the, "I have 500 friends on Facebook," type of friends.  Not the, "frenemy," "fair weather," or, "we haven't seen each other since grade school," types, but I mean the, "I'll give you my kidney," type of friends.  We all have these concentric circles that surround us.  The people who are part of our lives get put in these orbits and rotate around us like satellites.  You have the family circle, the friends circle, co-workers get an orbit, people I knew in high school have a circle (there is even a, "douche bags and assholes circle," that thankfully is kept at a far distance).  One of my favorite inner circles is the planetary formation I call, "The Big 5."  To protect their reputations, I will not use their actual names, but the Big 5 refers to myself, "Kay, Cee, Eee, and Aye."  The five of us have been friends for 27 years.  I love these women with every fiber of my being, and I know they love me. 

So, last night was our Christmas gift exchange dinner (I know the New Year has already started, but there were gifts in Christmas wrappings, so it's still a Christmas dinner).  We greatly appreciate the restaurant employees for letting us sit in a slightly secluded area so our inappropriate volume and topics of discussion did not annoy too many other patrons.  Our waiter also continued to check in and bring us drink refills during our three-and-a-half hour stay (yes, 3.5 hours at one restaurant - completely normal for us).  We talked, laughed, cried (thankfully these were just tears from the hysterical laughter), and got caught up on all our children, husbands, jobs, health, and even our pets.  As I looked around the table, I thought to myself, "THIS is why Bravo will never make a, 'Real Housewives of Indianapolis, branch of their popular show."  Who would want to watch five women in their 40's (o.k., Eee is the baby of our group and is still in her 30's), who have had no plastic surgery, all need to lose weight, not worried about walking out of the house with no make-up on their faces, laughing their asses off, who do not back stab and actually love each other? 

I cannot tell you how happy I am that I do NOT have to watch that show.  I am blessed to be one of the starring roles.

2 comments:

  1. Reading your posts is like reading my life. I have only one sister, though. My mom died when I was 26 (9 years ago). I have 3 kids. And I work part time in the medical field. Plus, I have lots of guy friends - most of which were around prior to my husband. :) Oh yes - I live in Indy, too. Looking forward to reading & laughing!

    ReplyDelete