Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sometimes I Can't Read

Sometimes, I cannot read.  I do not have dyslexia.  I am not illiterate. My vision is 20/20.  It is a much more superficial problem than those.  I have had countless times in my life where I have picked up a book, read the synopsis, then soon discover the back cover was the most intriguing part of the printing.  There is quite a collection of books in my home that I have only read the first 25-50 pages.  If it cannot keep my interest after that, I usually close the cover and put it on a shelf.  My sister (Sis #1) is a maniacal, reading machine.  She lent me her copy of Stephen King's 11/22/63.  Amazing book.  I loved it.  I read all 849 pages in about three weeks.  She read it in three days.

I have a confession about high school:  out of all the books I had to read for my English classes, I only read two from beginning to end.  Those two books were To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.  Technically, I did not read all of To Kill a Mockingbird in high school.  I actually read it in my eighth grade English class, so I reread it my freshman year.  Two complete books on my required reading list in four years.  Two books.  Four years.  I read parts of other literary classics like The Good Earth, The Great Gatsby, The Grapes of Wrath, Great Expectations (maybe I just do not like books that have the letter "G" in the title...quite an alliteration of unread literary works).  I would start the book then lose interest.  I started depending on Cliff's Notes and my friend Cee (who was in the same classes) to give me the details I needed to pass my tests.  I do remember many essay questions where a circular pattern of bullshit that kind of sounded like the plot of the story convinced my teachers to at least give me partial points towards a passing score.  It is not that I did not read any books during high school.  But, I had discovered Stephen King, and none of his books were on the list.  Pet Semetery, Cujo, Carrie...those were the books I could sink my teeth into. 

I have books I have bought and books I have borrowed.  Books people have told me, "I loved it!  I couldn't put it down!"  If I cannot get in the book, I do not feel bad about letting it go.  Just to show that I am not a heartless, unforgiving bitch, there are books that I have given a second chance.  Books that I gave up, put down, but tried again and finished them.  It by Stephen King and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving are two stories that were better the second time around, and they became two of my favorite books.

I have been on the other side of this equation, too.  Books I have really loved and have shoved into the hands of others.  "I loved it!  I couldn't put it down."  I told Sis #1 this about The Passage by Josh Cronin.  She was hesitant at first, but after reading it, she said it is probably one of the best books he has read.  The other one I loved is Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith.  I had to convince my husband and my mother to read this book.  They both resisted, but once they started the book, they also enjoyed it very much.  I do not think Sis #1 has tried to read it.  I understand the title makes it a bit hard to swallow the story, but maybe if she tries it she might like it.

So, when it comes to what to read, choose what you like.  The books that are getting all the buzz may not be what interest you, so find something that does.  Give everything a try, maybe two tries.  The wonderful thing is that there is no shortage of things to read.  For Christ's sake, you sat here are read this, didn't you?  And, I appreciate it.

3 comments:

  1. Beth Bobko1/23/2013

    Great from beginning to end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you just love seeing your name in print.

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I firmly believe that life is too short to waste on a book that one does not enjoy. I, too, have a sister who reads with a reckless abandon. My father devoured books. I read 2-3 a week on average. A mix of fiction, literature, history and biography. I also read cookbooks, travelogues and whatever may catch my fancy.

    I have had the conversation with Little One several times that she should not feel guilty about checking a book out of the library, start reading it, and then decide she doesn't like it. "The library is full of books. Throw this one back and try another" are my feeble words of parental guidance.

    I received 3 books over the holiday season and I have started two of them. I can honestly say that neither is a book that I would chosen on my own just by glancing at the cover or reading the dust covers. But as these were gifts I felt an obligation to give them a try, as someone had decided based on what they know of me and of this book that we might be a good match, sort of like being fixed up on a blind date. I have enjoyed them thus far. It is good to occasionally get out of the routine of things I like to read and experience something just a little different.

    I once caught a fair bit of guff at the office for raving about "The Book that Nobody Read" by Owen Gingrich. It is sometimes difficult to discuss grand ideas when people at the coffee maker/water cooler/feed trough would rather discuss the Housewives of Indianapolis or American Idol or last night's game of whatever sport happens to be in season.

    Keep turning the pages.

    ReplyDelete